If you have rented a self-storage unit to put all your extra belongings into, there comes a time when you now need to clean out the unit and remove everything you had put in it. If you are planning to do just that, think about hiring a skip bin to help you with offloading and disposing of all the trash that you do not need from your unit. Below, see why a skip bin is perfect for this, what considerations to make when hiring your bin, and more.
Why a skip bin?
There are several reasons why a skip bin is perfect for storage unit cleanouts. They include the following:
- There is no garbage facility at self-storage centres. It is up to you to create your own garbage removal system. Skip bins are perfect for garbage and trash removal.
- Skip bins are versatile in terms of usage. They can be loaded with all manner of waste from your storage unit—for example, cardboard, clothes, documents, used furniture, used appliances, construction materials, car parts, etc.
- Skips bins are available in many different sizes.
What to throw away when cleaning out your storage unit
If you are going to hire a skip bin to help with removing the trash from your unit, it is imperative that you have a good idea beforehand of what you're going to be throwing away and what you'll be taking back home. Some of the things you should dispose of include:
- Items you no longer have a need for, like clothes that no longer fit you.
- Items you no longer want to keep under storage, like items belonging to a deceased person.
- Damaged items, like old furniture or appliances.
- Clutter and trash (paper, plastic bags, empty boxes, cardboard, etc).
What to consider when hiring a skip bin for the process
- What size of bin you need. This should be guided by the size of your storage unit and the number of items you plan to throw away.
- Where to have the bin delivered. You can request the storage company to allow you to have the bin delivered to their premises. If not possible, have the bin delivered at home and load the skip from there.
- Bin collection and delivery times. You can have the bin dropped off in the morning and collected in the evening. However, if you need some more time sorting out your unit's belongings, maintain a one-week hire period.
Your bin hire company can further advise you on the ideal size to hire depending on the size of your storage unit. Just make sure to book your bin in advance to avoid a last-minute inconvenience. For more information, contact a business such as Kingston Skips.